Vancouver International Airport (YVR) is about a 30 minute drive from UBC.

Taxi Service
  Taxi service from the Vancouver Airport costs approximately $30-$35(cdn).
MacLure's Cabs      604 731-9211
Vancouver Taxi 604 255-5111
Yellow Cabs 604 681-1111

Car Rentals at YVR- The airport is serviced by most of the major car rental companies.

Maps and Driving Directions from Vancouver International Airport

Map of Vancouver with driving directions from Vancouver International Airport to UBC's Walter Gage Towers.

View Larger Map
On the larger map you can change your mode of travel at the top left - by car, transit, walking or bike

From Wesbrook Mall turn onto Student Union Boulevard and take an immediate right into Walter Gage Residence. Temporary parking is available along the curb side. The front desk is located in the main building that connects all 3 high-rise towers. Limited pay parking is available when checking in.

For additional parking near Walter Gage, continue past Walter Gage - to the North Parkade on the Right.

Driving directions from Seattle
Take Interstate 5 North to the Canadian Border, crossing at the Peace Arch border crossing.
Continue north on Highway 99. Highway 99 turns into Oak Street at the Oak Street Bridge.
At the north end of the bridge, stay to the right and take the second exit 41B: Marine Drive West.
Merge onto SW Marine Dr
Bear to the right here and go up to merge with Granville Street
Turn left at the first set of lights to stay on SW Marine Dr
Take the 1st right to stay on SW Marine Dr
Take the 3rd left to stay on SW Marine Dr
Follow SW Marine Dr to the UBC Campus
Turn right onto W 16th Ave
At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on W 16th Ave
At the next roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Wesbrook Mall
Turn left onto Student Union Blvd

Border lineups can be long at times. Check here for estimated wait times.


Limited affordable parking is available for guests staying in Gage Towers or the West Coast Suites.

Parking passes are available when you check-in.

For additional parking near Walter Gage, continue past Walter Gage - to the North Parkade on the Right.


Life Sciences Building, the closest parkades are:

Health Sciences Parkade

Located at 2250 Health Science Mall with the entrance on the south side, just west of the Health Sciences Mall.

B1 Lot

Located across from the Life Sciences Centre on Agronomy Road with the entrance either from the 6000 Block of Agronomy Road, the 6000 block of Thunderbird Blvd. or the 2400 Block Health Sciences Mall.

Click here for a map of UBC showing all the available parking lots

Local Transit Options
Translink Public transportation for Vancouver & Lower Mainland
BC Transit Public transportation for other areas around Vancouver
BC Ferries Transportation to Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands and Sunshine Coast
Visa requirements

Participants need to ensure that they have the proper travel documents and visas to enter Canada. 

To visit Canada it may be required to get a Visitor Visa. Whether or not you need one depends on citizenship. Visitors from countries on this visa list, from the Canadian government website, require a visa to visit Canada. At the bottom of the same page are listed and explained exceptions to visa requirements.

To request a visa letter, you must first be registered for the Nuclear Structure 2014 conference. On the registration form there is a place for you to request a visa letter. Please also send an email to letting us know that you have indicated this request.

The Canadian Government website has a comprehensive guide to applying for a visa. It also has the required application forms available on-line.

IMPORTANT: Please contact your local visa office to ask about all their requirements. Some offices have specific requirements and applications that are not complete will not be accepted.

Currently processing times of visas can be quite long, so if you are a citizen of a country that requires a visa it is important to submit applications as soon as possible.

For more information for obtaining visa and about the process go to the Canadian government website or contact your local visa office.